New Member Information Packs are available from the Committee Room in the clubhouse and the link below. The pack contains all the documentation you will need to get your application for membership started.
To become a member of the Darwin Pistol Club an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Complete an Application for Membership Form and pay the appropriate Membership Fee;
- Obtain a National Police Certificate (formerly a Criminal History Check);
- Provide two references from persons who have known you for at least two years;
- Provide two passport size photos of yourself;
Junior Membership applicants must also provide:
- A Letter of Support from a parent/guardian permitting the child to join the Club;
- A copy of their Birth Certificate;
After approval of the application by the Committee, the member may apply to the Police for a Category H Sports Shooter Permit. The permit is valid for three months during which time the member must;
- Complete a Standard Safety Curse to learn basic proficiency and safety requirements;
- Regularly attend the club for sanctioned matches and any discipline-specific training required;
- Handle and shoot Category H firearms only under the direct supervision of a holder of a Category H Sports Shooter License.
At the completion of the three month permit period, the member may apply to the Committee for support for the issue of a Category H Sports Shooter License. The member's attendance record, general demeanour and firearms handling proficiency will be considered by the Committee in reaching their decision. The Committee may decide to support the application by issuing the member a Certificate of Firearms Club Membership, or recommend the member continue with another three month permit to obtain further experience and training. If an application is rejected by the Committee, any Membership Fees paid to the Club will be refunded.
After a member has held a Category H Sports Shooter License for a minimun period of six months, the member may apply to the Committee for support for the issue of a Purchase Permit to purchase a firearm. The Committee will consider the discipline for which the member wishes to use the firearm for, and the appropriateness of the firearm for that discipline. The member must also be able to satisfy the NT Police that they have appropriate storage facilities for the firearm.
- Various types of Club pistols are available for use under supervision, using only Club ammunition.
- Club ammunition is available to members at discounted prices.
- Other Club members will be happy to assist with advice, assistance and even loan of gear.
- Committee Members are also available to provide advice and assistance.
- Junior Members must always be accompanied at the Club by a 'responsible adult'.
The following Categories of membership of DPC are available. The current annual fees are as indicated (including GST).
Annual Fees (including GST)
|Senior/Concessional Membership – Over 65 years||$130|
|Committee Member||50% of relevant fee|
|Corporate Membership||Fees to be negotiated on Application|
It is a legal requirement of both the Northern Territory Firearms Act 2003 and the Darwin Pistol Club that all members be capitated to one of the following recognised peak body Associations:
- Pistol Australia (PA)
- International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC)
- Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (SSAA)
- International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association (IHMSA)
Failure to maintain correct capitation may result in the cancellation of your Category H Sports Shooter License/Permit and confiscation of any Category H firearms you own.