The Darwin Pistol Club Committee met on Thursday 26 October.
This was the last meeting of the current committee as a new committee will be elected at the AGM on 26 November.
We will be doing a bacon and egg breaky from 7.30 am.
The AGM is scheduled for 8.30 with the usual Sunday shoot straight after that, and the club will be providing lunch from about noon.
As a result we spent a considerable amount of time tidying up administrative tasks and other loose ends so the new committee can have as clean a slate as possible once they take over next month.
We spent some time planning tasks for the working bee scheduled to start at 8am on 25 November. Things we will be working on will include:
- Set up tables, chairs etc for AGM,
- Repair screens on range 8,
- Remove rusted gutters,
- Replace guttering on Silhouette range, the committee approved $500 for this task, Bill to coordinate
- Dismantling and removal of old swing set,
- Clean drains on IPSC ranges,
- Replace short length of guttering on walkway near clubhouse entrance,
- Remove old racking on range 7.
- Filling drums with wood chip to act as bullet barriers.
There is enough here to keep a small army busy so even if you can only spare an hour or so come along and help out your club and remember the more work we get done at working bees lower we can keep your fees.
We currently have a total of 237 members across the various membership categories and our finances remain sound.
More details on both issues will be provided at the AGM.
As far as shooting is concerned all disciplines seem to be going along smoothly and most active shooters have now been accessed as meeting all of the requirements of the various NT Police approved safety courses.
Its been a hot build up so far and this is reflected in fewer shooters that normal participating in matches over the last few weeks.
The next IPSC 10% match is scheduled for 18 November at Darwin Pistol Club.
Regular IPSC shotgun matches are being reintroduced and when they are held at DPC they will take place on the top ranges so that IPSC pistol matches can still be held on the same day.
Looking forward to seeing as many members as possible at the working Bee and AGM next month.
29 August 2023
Just a couple of things from the last committee meeting.
The NT Firearms unit is now policing a part of the firearms act that requires all shooters to complete an approved firearms safety course before being granted a firearms licence.
This has a number of issues for us;
- First, there were no “approved” H class coursed in the NT. The committee is working with the Police Firearms Unit to get courses relevant to our members approved. To date we have had the commissioner sign off on both the IPSC and iCore holster courses for H class licences and we are working with Pistol NT to get a course suitable to their disciplines approved.
- The requirement of having completed a safety course applies to both new and existing members. Rather than have experienced shooters complete another course to maintain their licence we have sought to have the NT Police accept an RPL assessment that certifies that an individual satisfies all requirements of an approved course.
- There has not been a process prescribed to have RPL assessments recognised, and this has had to be developed by DPC in conjunction with the NT Firearms unit. The first group of assessments has been completed by DPC and is with the Police awaiting approval.
- We will need to change the paperwork for new members completing our safety/holster course. These changes will need to be accepted by Police.
All of this generates considerable work for the committee but should have minimal impact on members provided negotiations with the Police continue smoothly. I will keep you informed but as always if you want to discuss, talk to your discipline rep or give me a call.
Another issue resolved at the meeting was the need to get new club air pistols for the use of new members, our existing airpistols have reached the end of their useful life as “Club Guns”. We are seeking some support from Pistol NT but in the interim the committee has agreed to purchase some new firearms.
We also discussed the need to remind all members to look after club equipment. A range of equipment is available for your use but a condition of this use is that it is looked after. Otherwise, the replacement equipment incurs a cost for the club. Aside from club firearms this includes props such as walls, poppers, target frames and the ranges themselves. The basic rules are if you use them only use them for their intended purpose, put them away when finished and if they require maintenance advise your discipline rep. With the ranges leave them clean and tidy after use, this includes removing spent cases (especially 22s and 9mm).
The final point for this email is that preparation is underway for our upcoming AGM (expected to be late October a date to be confirmed once the Audit is completed). As you know this is an important meeting for our club where you get your chance to ensure the club is running the way you want it, so please make every effort to attend. As always we will be electing a new committee, and I would encourage all of you to consider how you could contribute to your club and think about applying for committee positions. The committee is responsible for running your club and a strong committee is vital to DPCs ongoing prosperity. I would be happy to discuss the roles and responsibilities of committee members with any of you who may be interested. Nominations will be called for shortly.
See you on the range
2 August 2023
All DPC members please note the range closures as below for mosquito control
Helicopter mosquito surveys and control operations in response to high tides. We will be working in the range area:
- Sunday 6th August: From 9am – To 4 pm
- Thursday 10th August: From 8 am – To 1 pm
We request that during these times:
-SSAA rifle range be closed for centre fire rifles,
-Darwin Pistol Club Mover and Silhouette ranges be closed for centre fire pistols
-Darwin Rifle Club range be closed excepting prone or supported shooting styles without potential to exceed the classification template.
28 May 2023
I am writing to advise you of a couple of points from last Thursdays Committee meeting but as always if you want more information feel free to contact your discipline representative or myself.
Your committee continues to work hard to run your club, as you can imagine this is a substantial task and the workload only increases as we continue to grow. We currently have 269 members!
Gail has started collecting membership renewals for next year, these need to be finalised by 30 June. You are reminded that your membership needs to be current as a condition of you having a H class licence.
Dale and his team are working hard to finalise arrangements for the ICORE State titles that will be held at DPC on 10 and 11 June.
At our meeting last Thursday, the committee decided to restrict access to the canteen to Committee Members and a few nominated members. This should start immediately, and committee members will be rostered on to provide canteen service. This will allow more members to get to know committee members and provide another opportunity for members to raise issues with the committee.
Another decision made at the meeting of 25 May was for DPC to stop selling projectiles. With the difficulties in getting powder, our projectile sales have dropped considerably to the point that carrying a range of projectiles is no longer a viable option for us. We still have a considerable stock on hand and will continue to sell these but will not be replenishing supplies once they are gone, this will give members who have been buying projectiles through the club time to transition to new arrangements. We will continue to sell air pistol pellets, 9mm factory loads and some 38 reloads.
Look forward to seeing you at the club.